Hi, my name is Shannon and I am a bad blogger.
(all in unison) “Hi Shannon”
Yes, it has been awhile and while you might be thinking that I am off doing something very exciting or luxuriating on an exotic beach, (or you haven’t even noticed that I am gone…) I can assure you that it is nothing that exciting. I just haven’t had anything of value or entertainment to post.
Sometimes life is just not that exciting and I have to tell you that the older I get, the more okay I am with being “boring”. I am still training, for nothing in particular, but “training” nevertheless. And I don’t know if it is the heat (it is actually, legitimately hot here) or what, but I have a new list of grievances.
1) When running/walking on a sidewalk, please run/walk on your side of the “road”. Treat the sidewalk as a road and stay to the right. Please allow for the middle of the sidewalk for passing. And do we have to have a stand-off, can’t you just move to your side? If you are running on the left because of shade, I get that…just be aware that you are in someone else’s lane and MOVE to your lane when being approached by oncoming traffic.
2) I understand that the LAP pool at the gym is for all gym members and you might not being using a LAP to actually swim LAPS. Many use it to rehab, I get that. But should I really have to share a lane because a grown man want to do hand stands in the pool? (I cannot make this stuff up) Or some 20-somethings are using it to socialize? (IT IS INSIDE LAP POOL AT A GYM, not a pool in Vegas)
3) If you have followed my blog for a while, you know this soap box, but I am climbing on it once again. USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL. I can not read your mind and although it is dangerous when we are all in cars, it is a zillion times more dangerous when I am on a bike.
4) Runner and cyclist listening to music is fine, I do it. But if it is too loud for you to hear me
say scream “ON YOU LEFT” then we have a problem. Not only is it very dangerous for you, but it is dangerous for those of us around you. Recently I was riding and came up on an older gentleman (not wear a helmet, but that is a whole ‘nother post!) with both earphones in. He was hugging the white line (on the far left – see #1) so I came up to him a yelled, “on your left”. Of course he could not hear me, so I was forced to pass him in traffic. Which leads me to #5…
5) Here in South OC we are very, very fortunate to have a decent set of bike lanes. But sometimes bike lanes are closed or they are used for parking so I have to ride in your precious road. Guess what? I would rather be in the bike lane just as much, if not more, that you (motorist) want me in the bike lane. No reason to buzz me, honk or give me dirty looks (which usually end with you swerving), I am very aware you don’t want me there AND I am very aware that I am adding maybe 10 seconds to your precious drive. Lets just all play nice and safe and move along.
Okay, that is enough of my complaining. Sorry about that, but I am sure a lot of you can relate and maybe you have a grievance or two of your own. Misery loves company, so please share!